Sunday, January 13, 2013

BETTER TO BE SICK



SAMUEL RUTHERFORD (1600-1661)

Sure I am, it is better to be sick, providing Christ come to thy bed-side, and draw aside the curtains and say, “Courage, I am thy salvation.” That to enjoy health, being lusty and strong, and never to be visited by God. Worthy and dear lady, in the strength of Christ, fight and overcome. You are now alone, but you may have, for the seeking, three always in your company, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I trust they are near you. 

You are now deprived of the comfort of a lively ministry; so were Israel in their captivity; yet hear God’s promise to them: Therefore say, Thus saith the Lord God, although I have cast them far off among the heathen, and although I have scattered them among the countries where they shall come,”[Ezek 11.16]. Behold a sanctuary! For a sanctuary, God himself, in the place and room of the temple of Jerusalem: I trust in God, that carrying this temple about with you, you shall see Jehovah’s beauty in his house

No comments: