Tuesday, January 6, 2009

CHARLES WESLEY'S HYMNS FOR CHRIST'S CHURCH- by CHARLES WOODRUFF



There is a little hymnbook that I have in my collection which has some very good, God honoring, hymns. I noticed that this particular book has several by the great hymn writer, Charles Wesley. The only notable thing about this is that the publisher only put the initials "C.W." for the author of Can it be That I Should Gain, and other of Wesley's hymns. Why? I surmise that the publisher, a staunch Calvinist, did not want to mention Charles Wesley by name because he and his brother John Wesley were Arminians. I am considered by some to be a narrow Calvinist; even a hyper-Calvinist. Yet I personally find it rather amusing that the publisher would publish Wesley's hymns in his compilation, but not give him writer's credit!

The hymns this man wrote speak much of a sovereign God (whether Charles Wesley fully understood that or not). He is said to have penned over 7000 songs! His songs belong to the Christian church at large, as do those of Watts and Newton, and I believe there is good evidence that the Wesley's knew Christ. Read the following hymn and tell me that this man didn't know Christ.I would find that incredible to comprehend. Most of the hymnals use only four verses of this hymn, and use the wonderful words Amazing love, how can it be, etc.., as a chorus to each verse. It has become my favorite hymn, at least for now! There are so many good ones. Let us sing God's praise and rejoice in His gift of salvation to His people!

And can it be, that I should gain
An interest in the Saviour's blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?


'Tis mystery all! The Immortal dies:
Who can explore His strange design?
In vain the first-born seraph tries
To sound the depths of love divine.
Tis mercy all! let earth adore,
Let angel minds inquire no more.


He left His Father's throne above,
So free, so infinite His grace,
Emptied Himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam's helpless race:
'Tis mercy all, immense and free;
For, O my God, it found out me!


Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth and followed Thee.


No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in Him, is mine!
Alive in Him, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness divine,
Bold I approach the eternal throne,
And claim the crown, through Christ my own.


No comments: